Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Start

I attended the WLS seminar in April 2008, and was hesitant about the Doctor. He seemed very nice, but was pushing gastric bypass and I was wanting to have the lap band surgery. I putt off going to my consultation appointment because I was afraid he would not want to do the lap band on me. I canceled several times before finally actually going.

My first appointment with the surgeon was on Tuesday July 15Th 2008 at 9:00 AM. I was a nervous wreck and almost backed out. I was weighed and measured (height) then I was asked a few questions. The nurse told me what my weight and height were and I was shocked to find out that I am 5'4! All these years I have been thinking I was 5'5. I have always felt I was shorter and I guess I was correct. The surgeon came in and went over my history. We discussed how I felt about the seminar, and he thanked me for being honest! He explained his reasoning for pushing the gastric bypass over the lap band, and I could see where he was coming from. See with the bypass you have a smaller stomach and you also malabsorb what you eat. The lap band you have a smaller stomach, nutrients are still absorbed. You kinda have to be more strict and watch what you eat with the lap band. It is just a tool to help with weight loss. (If you want to know more please research) He said after reviewing my history and speaking with me he thought I would be a great candidate for the lap band. I was relieved and felt like a ton had been lifted off my shoulders! He said he wanted me to loose at least five pounds before surgery. He also said if I did not he would not do it! I was scheduled for the H pylori (testing for ulcers) For Wednesday the 16th.

No comments: